Saturday, December 10, 2011

Backup I: My External RAID

The other day, I installed the NewerTech MAXPower eSATA 6G PCIe 2.0 RAID Capable Controller Card (repeat that three times fast) in the Mac Pro.  Although NewerTech also makes a similar driverless PCIe controller card without the RAID capabilities (at a lower price point), I had read anecdotal reports that if an external drive is connected via eSATA, which I plan to do, you cannot hot-swap the drive without having to power down and reboot the computer.  Probably not an issue for most, but for about $25 more, I elected to go with the RAID version. 

NewerTech MAXPower eSATA RAID controller card


The install went without a hitch.  I tested it by attaching a 1TB quad-interface G-Technology G-DRIVE, and everything functioned as expected.  Note that because this controller card does have RAID capabilities, there are OS X drivers that should be installed.  I do not plan to use the card's RAID features, but it does have a decent web browser interface for configuration.  It supports RAID level 0, 1, 5, 10 and JBOD modes.  Again, it also features eSATA Hot Plug Support.  

I like to second-guess myself, a theme that will probably become commonplace in future blog entries.  I decided to return the 3TB version of the G-DRIVE and go with an external RAID for my attached backup protocol.  Although hard drive prices are inflated at the time of this writing, I needed . . . okay wanted . . . something NOW.  For the past few weeks, I had my eyes on this NewerTech Guardian MAXimus 2TB Quad-Interface RAID storage solution, again from OWC.  Well, that is what I ended up ordering.  I'm thinking that two 2TB drives in a mirror should suffice.  

Next up . . . the Time Capsule.




No comments:

Post a Comment